Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2009

4. Painting the Old Roses at the Pasture

Today's paintings is of Old Roses on a Pasture Gate. Let me tell you the story of how this painting came to be.

When painting outdoors, the weather can play a significant role in my plans. Take today for example, originally I was headed out of town to paint. But weather forecasts for off and on showers all day with thunderstorms in the late afternoon made me reconsider. My second choice of location was a nearby farm where I was working on paintings of some of the barns for the owner. The barns wouldn't get sunlight until the afternoon, and two of them not until after 5:00pm. The morning was cloudy, then sunny, then a clap of thunder, then sunny. I waited for the rain. At 1:00pm it came. At 1:15 it was gone. The sun came out. A hot humid day. I watched the clouds building and building throughout the afternoon. Obviously, we would be having some major thunderstorms later.

To drive across town to paint the barns was now nixed. They were closer than my original destination, but still a 45 minute drive. So the heck with it. I had loaded my easel into the car earlier in the morning. I went and got itout of the car and looked around the yard. The wild roses and Old Roses where blooming. Honeysuckle on the fences and daisies and buttercups out in the field. I decided to set up under the shade of the Sycamore tree. In front of me was the gate to our front pasture. It isn't used that much, and the wild roses and the himalayan musk roses were climbing up around it. The sunlight was shining on the gate. As I got out my brushes it seemed that the humidity dropped, the air cleared and the breeze brought the scent of the roses. The hot summer day became a wonderful spring afternoon. I got down to painting...


Old Roses at the Pasture Gate
4x6 oil on canvas
SOLD

All of these paintings are for sale, priced at $100. including shipping. Each painting is an original, one of a kind. Once it's sold, it is gone. Click on the button above to pay with paypal or credit card. Or contact me directly at

Remember: I will be donating to Danny and Ron's Rescue for every painting that is sold.

Don't forget to check back tomorrow to see the next painting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails